Despite last minute pull outs of Jennifer Hudson and the Black Eyed Peas, the “Michael Forever” Michael Jackson Tribute concert was a success.
50,000 fans packed Millennium Stadium in the Welsh capital of Cardiff yesterday October 8 to watch La Toya Jackson, Alien Ant Farm, JLS, Leona Lewis, Ne-Yo, Gladys Knight, Craig David, Smokey Robinson, Beyonce and Alexandra Burke perform.
MJ’s children Prince Michael, Paris and Blanket introduced Beyonce, who appeared in a pre-taped segment.
Read full article and watch video after the jump
“She is always pushing the envelope with her boundless energy and talent,” said Paris. “She carries the torch lit by our father and it gives me great pleasure to introduce this woman.”
B performed MJ’s song “I Wanna Be Where You Are.” The singer told the audience that Destiny’s Child sang the song when they auditioned to get a record deal.
Check out the performance breakdowns via Rap-Up below.
• Ne-Yo kicked off the four-hour extravaganza by channeling the pop icon during “Billie Jean” and “The Lady In My Life.” He thrilled with MJ’s signature moves in his iconic glittery jacket and glove.
• Michael’s children Prince, Paris, and Blanket introduced Beyoncé, who appeared via satellite. Rocking an Afro, B performed one of her favorite Jackson records “I Wanna Be Where You Are.”
• Emotions ran high as Christina Aguilera belted out MJ’s favorite ballad “Smile,” kicking it up a notch with “Dirty Diana.”
• Britain’s “X Factor” champ Alexandra Burke delivered the Jackson 5’s “Who’s Lovin’ You” and “Scream,” Michael’s collaboration with his sister Janet.
• Cee Lo Green toned down the flash, performing “I Can’t Help It” from Off the Wall, wearing a simple white T-shirt.
• Michael’s nephews 3T reunited for the Jackson 5’s “Heartbreak Hotel” and “Why,” a duet with their late uncle.
• Leona Lewis was joined by ballerinas for “Stranger in Moscow.” “What an electric experience!” she wrote. “Honoured to be a part of the show.”
• La Toya Jackson hit the stage for the first time in 20 years, performing “In the Closet” and “Jam” with Heavy D.
• Tears streamed down fans’ faces as Gladys Knight and Smokey Robinson dueted on a beautiful cover of “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You.”
• Ne-Yo, JLS, and members of the Jackson family came together on stage for the all-star finale of “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough.”